Friday, April 1, 2011

Reading up... on Literacyhead

Good Morning folks,

My work was recently featured in an awesome online educational magazine called Literacyhead.  I was excited to participate in this feature because I was impressed with this group and the tools they provide for teachers and kids.  I am thoroughly engrossed as I scroll through the illustrations they have included in their learning modules.  

The neat thing about this site is how they break words and concepts down into easy to understand definitions, aided with example sentences and pictures.  It is so encouraging to see an organization like Literacyhead promoting reading and vocabulary. 

I have found countless inspirational writers and illustrators in my journey as a reader.  I now realize how important it is to start that journey young.  I still have many of my favorite children's books tucked away (in the same closet with the oboe...) and their intricate stories and dreamy illustrations continue to influence my work.

My Drawing is featured in part of the "Visual Vocabulary: Images for Teaching Words" module, in which text from the children's book Sophie's Masterpiece, by Eileen Spinelli (illustrated by Jane Dyer), was selected and then paired with images that illustrated specific vocabulary words.

Scrolling down the link page (included below), you will see the quote "I'll weave those strands into the baby's blanket."  You should be at the fourth vocabulary word "Strands: pieces of string, yarn, thread or hair."  

Here you will see three illustrated examples of the word (including my Young Lady With Large Hair drawing) and an example of what the word does not mean.


Navigate here to see the Literacyhead feature.


**Please note: the link posted here has changed since this post was published, it no longer mentions the children's book above but you can still view my work**
 

Thank you to Jamie D'Angelo, Editor of Literacyhead, for contacting me and including me in such a special and admirable endeavor.

You can read more about Literacyhead from their homepage here:

Or check them out on Facebook.

Here are some of my favorites from childhood:






2 comments:

  1. Hi! The "here" link is dead. :( I perused for awhile, but couldn't get to your illustrations, which I would love to see. Any other ways of navigating there?

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KH,
    sorry about that dead link. By clicking the very first Literacyhead link in this post, you can see the homepage, and a search box in the upper right corner. Enter "the sparrow moon" in the search box and hit enter. You should then be seeing two search results: "our friends" and "strands." Click on "strands." Scrolling down the "strands" visual vocabulary page, you will see my "Young Lady with Large Hair" work featured.

    Thanks for pointing out the link error. I believe the link I used was the current Literacyhead issue at that time, and it has expired. I'll fix that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...