Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hiking Around in the Woods



It was a hot and sunny day as we headed down an old trail towards the Boardman River. We came upon a familiar old bridge.  I remember a long time ago, standing on that bridge and looking down into the river and seeing a big beaver swim right under me.  The rest of the city seems to have changed and grown, but this corner of Traverse City has stayed the same.  What a difference in temperature when we got to the tree line and entered the woods.  It was like some kind of cool, mysterious fairy land in there.  I couldn't stop taking pictures, everywhere I looked was some fantastic, magical view.

We found ourselves pondering how long it would take the river water we stood in to reach the Bay.  So many different greens, browns, and shimmering blues in this river.  The water was very cold, but it was so hot outside that Josh decided to take a dip.  I waded in and so did Gilbert, which is a statement about how hot it was.  Gilbert does not like swimming and only enters the water when he absolutely has to.  He toddled around with us and didn't seem to mind the icy and swift current of the river.

I hadn't been to this area since I was young and had fun showing Josh where my sister and step-sisters and I had posed for our pictures here as young girls.  The trees and steps were still there after all this time.  Which was comforting.   

I crunched on one of these wonderful apples growing wild, which my grandpa said are called "greenies."  And Josh tasted the wild grapes, which were not sweet yet.  I daydream about revisiting this place and spending the day frolicking, reading in the sun, and taking more pictures.  I can't wait for the leaves to change.



This photo of me in the woods was taken by my dad sometime in the early 90s.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...